header


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, March 04, 2016

Sam is unique!

Sam's teacher does something in her classroom called "Unique Week." Each week, a different student is picked to be celebrated. They bring in pictures of themselves, their favorite book, and something that represents them and their family. In addition to this, parents are responsible for writing a letter to the class about their child, and explaining why they are so special to them.

I had such a hard time with this! Not only did I have to keep it relatively short (a near impossibility for someone as long-winded as me), but I had to direct it toward an audience of 4th graders. I have a new appreciation for tween authors!

Here's what I ended up with:

"Dear Mrs. Simonette, and all the students in Sam’s class,
Sam’s daddy and I are very excited about the chance to write this letter to you, so we can share just how much we love Sam, and how special he is to us.
Sam was born on July 11, and because of this, we call him our 7-11 baby. Every year on July 11, 7-Eleven offers free Slurpees for everyone, and we always make sure to get one for Sam and his sister, Abby. We hope that on this coming July 11, you’ll head to 7-Eleven and get your own free Slurpee, and that you’ll think of Sam when you do!
Sam is exciting to be around, and so funny! He is always saying and doing things to make us laugh. When we went to Jacksonville last year to watch the first Panthers game of the season, we got to go on the field before the game to watch the Panthers practice. There was music playing, and Sam, in his typical fun-loving and goofy way, started dancing and trying to get the people in their seats to dance with him. We love that vivacious spirit of his, and the way he enjoys having a good time and making sure everyone around him has a good time.
Even though they fight from time to time, Sam is a wonderful big brother to his little sister, Abby. Sam was four when Abby was born, and I knew having a baby around the house was going to be a big adjustment for him. I admit, I was a little concerned. But I needn’t have worried. When we brought Abby home from the hospital, the first thing he said was, “Oh, good! You have Abby with you. She is SO cute!” Ever since then, they have been the best of friends. The two of them play together all the time, and he even helps her with her math homework. According to Abby, “Sam is so adorable.”
Speaking of math, Sam is so smart! He has a love for numbers, and he knows how to do math better than I do! (When he’s really concentrating on a math problem -- or any problem -- he does this thing where he sticks his tongue out while he’s concentrating. You should watch for it. I think it’s super cute). He is always telling us about the new things you learn in class. He especially loved the time you spent talking about the moon. Even now, he’ll tell me if a moon is a waning gibbous or a waxing gibbous. We are so happy that he enjoys learning, matter how challenging the subject might be.
As I’m sure most of you know, Sam has a passion for all things sports, especially basketball and FOOTBALL! He never misses a Panthers game, and he knows the background and statistics for every member of the team. In addition to watching sports, he loves to play them. One of his favorite things to do is play basketball in the driveway with his dad. We are so proud of him because he tries his hardest, plays hard, but fair, and he knows the importance of never giving up. Or, as Panthers fans like to say, he knows the importance of KEEP POUNDING.
Sam’s heart is as big as the moon he loves so much. He is always the first one to give a high five to a fellow teammate who has made a good play. He never likes to see anyone hurt or sad, and he will say and do what he can to lift the spirit of someone who needs it. When we play Madden 16 together, he is always quick to help me out and act as my coach -- even though I know he really wants to beat me and win. But that’s Sam. He thinks about others before he thinks about himself.
For all these things, and many more than I could possibly name in one letter, we are so very proud of Sam. We consider ourselves lucky to be his parents, and we hope you enjoy having him around as much as we do.
And to Sam (also known as Beasy and Terd), as we always say in our family: “Hugs, kisses, love, peace.”


Love,
Mommy and Daddy"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment